This Code of Coaching Ethics has been developed to clarify and define standards of professional, ethical, and moral behavior from coaches affiliated with Chantilly Youth Association Soccer (CYA).
ARTICLE I - RESPONSIBILITIES TO PLAYERS
1. Coaches shall not place the value of winning over the safety and welfare of players.
2. Coaches shall instruct players to play within the Laws of the Game and within the spirit of the game at all times.
3. Coaches shall not seek unfair advantage by teaching unsporting behavior to players.
4. Coaches shall not encourage, condone, or tolerate inappropriate behavior from players in any situation.
5. Coaches shall not encourage players to violate any Law of the Game or any rule of competition established by CYA Soccer.
6. Coaches shall not encourage, condone, or permit any player to violate any bylaw, rule, or policy of CYA Soccer.
7. Coaches shall not discourage, deter, or deny players the right of advancement to participate in training or competition at a higher level within CYA Soccer.
8. Coaches shall direct players to seek proper medical attention for injuries and to follow instructions received from health care professionals regarding treatment and rehabilitation.
ARTICLE II - RESPONSIBILITY TO OPPONENTS
1. Coaches shall afford opponents the respect expected by the Laws of Game and the spirit of CYA/VYSA competition.
2. Coaches shall not encourage, condone, or permit any player to engage in conduct with the intent of causing injury to an opponent.
3. Coaches shall not engage in any physical or verbal confrontation with any opposing player, coach, or supporter.
ARTICLE III - RESPONSIBILITIES TO THE GAME
1. Coaches shall be aware of the Laws of the Game and shall adhere to the letter and spirit of the Laws of the Game.
2. Coaches shall provide instruction to players on the meaning and application of the Laws of the Game.
3. Coaches shall accept the responsibilities of team leadership and shall be accountable for the conduct of the players, team officials, and spectators affiliated with their teams.
ARTICLE IV - RESPONSIBILITY TO OFFICIALS
1. Coaches shall extend respect and courtesy to match and competition officials.
2. Coaches shall not incite players, team officials, or spectators into conduct towards officials that is contrary to the Laws of the Game.
3. Coaches shall not make demeaning or derogatory comments or gestures directed towards any official.
4. Coaches shall use their influence and authority to deter inappropriate conduct by spectators towards officials and opponents.
5. Coaches shall employ only methods authorized by the Laws of the Game, the rules of the competition, or the policies of CYA to pursue review of decisions by match or competition officials.
ARTICLE V - RESPONSIBILITIES REGARDING RECRUITING
1. Coaches shall comply with rules and policies pertaining to registration and player recruitment.
2. Coaches shall not engage in any recruiting activity intended to move CYA Member Players to another club.
3. Coaches shall not solicit or encourage the transfer of a CYA Team to another club.
4. Coaches shall not knowingly, recklessly, or negligently misrepresent or defame programs in CYA Soccer with the intent to recruit CYA Players to another club or another team within CYA Soccer.
5. Coaches shall cease and desist from any and all recruiting activity directed toward a player upon request from the player or the player's legal guardian.
6. Coaches shall not allow any surrogate to engage in recruiting activities prohibited by the Code of Coaching Ethics (including parents, players, friends, etc...).
I have read this Code of Coaching Ethics. I understand its requirements and agree to abide by the letter and spirit of this Code of Coaching Ethics.
All coaches in CYA Soccer are required to print and sign this document. Please return it to the appropriate age group coordinator within which program you coach.